Thursday, September 20, 2007

Thoughts for my 100th post

Death has a way of transcending us out of the blinders of today and giving us a glimpse of the blink that is one's lifetime. Eternity is just a breath away--a thin supernatural veil--truer and closer than we realize. It causes us to re-evaluate our life's pursuits, our passions, our priorities. How am I using my time? It awakens a renewal of relationships...the realization of what we hold most dear. I want more time knowing and glorifying Jesus...more time to show my wife and children love, respect, and kindnesses....more time to drink deeply from the friendship well...more time to spend myself in sacrificial service to the poor, broken, and hurting.

What would others say about me if my memorial service was tomorrow? What is my legacy? Did I love and live well? Was I true to my beliefs and ideals? Was I true to Jesus? Was He glorified?
I was faced with areas that I want to re-prioritize. Action steps are being made to reorient myself to the things that matter most. One small step at a time. Mostly it was a heart change...a willingness to let go of things that are ultimately unimportant and an embracing of the things that really are and that I can so easily move away from with the blinding distractions of life.

We will all "fly away" soon. Very soon. Do we need to pause, reflect, regroup, and return to the simplicity of knowing Jesus, loving Jesus, and loving others? Do we need a retreat to the house of mourning in order to find real life and real living? Simple living takes on a whole new meaning in the face of death.

Psalm 90:12

"So teach us to number our days, that we may get us a heart of wisdom."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home